vendredi 31 octobre 2008

Président John Adams (1809) : philosémite ... malgré Voltaire

Extraits de lettres du deuxième président des Etats-Unis John Adams, (1735-1826):

"In spite of ... Voltaire, I will insist that the Hebrews have done more to civilize men than any other nation. If I were an atheist, and believed in blind eternal fate, I should still believe that fate had ordained that the Jews be the most essential instrument for civilizing the nations. If I were an atheist of any other sect, who believe, or pretend to believe, that all is ordered by chance, I should believe that chance had ordered the Jews to preserve and propagate to all mankind the doctrine of a supreme, intelligent, wise, almighty sovereign of the universe, which I believe to be the essential principle of all morality, and consequently of all civilization." [Lettre du 16 février 1809.]

"I have had occasion to be acquainted with several gentlemen of your nation, and to transact business with some of them, whom I found to be men of as liberal minds, as much honor, probity, generosity and good breeding, as any I have known in any sect of religion or philosophy." [Lettre à Mordecai M. Noah du 31 juillet 1818.]

"I wish your nation may be admitted to all privileges of citizens in every country of the world. This country has done much. I wish it may do more; and annul every narrow idea in religion, government, and commerce." [Lettre à M.M. Noah de juillet 1818.]

Source: Albert S. Lindemann, Anti-Semitism before the Holocaust, Longman, 2000

A l'occasion des élections présidentielles américaines de 2008, nous rendons hommage aux présidents américains qui se sont distingués par leur lutte contre l'antisémitisme et, depuis sa création, par leur soutien indéfectible à Israël. Et rappelons que dans l'histoire américaine aucun président ne fut jamais élu sur la base d'une plateforme antisémite.

Aucun commentaire :